Classroom

New features for new markets

👨‍🎨 Product Designer

⏳ June 2018 - December 2018

Classroom UI

Overview

Lingvist was always designed to be a consumer facing product, that was until we started to hear from teachers in Arizona. They were using Lingvist in their classes and seeing unprecedented results. We decided to explore this market to see if there was a potential product market fit with educators.

Process

I started by interviewing the teachers who had reached out to us. Even though the time difference is substantial, they had no problem making time for me at 6:30am, before class started at 7:00am!

I also started reading articles online about US High Schools, talking to American colleagues, gathering as many data points as quickly as possible.

This helped shape my user persona and teacher workflow map which would guide us towards creating a set of features to help in the classroom.

Teacher persona and journey map

Dashboard

We decided initially to create a simple dashboard to allow educators’ monitor their students’ progress on Lingvist. We knew from our interviews that this was something the teachers were already doing manually - taking note of each student’s progress by hand. We also knew that they used Google Classroom for communication, so we could create a frictionless experience by adding students to the dashboard with a unique link.

We would follow this up with a much larger feature that would change the way Lingvist positioned itself in the future.

Rough sketches

Classroom UI design

Course Wizard

Internally, there had been a project to try automate course content using machine learning and natural language processing (NLP). It was clear from user interviews and our teacher journey map that this could also be a great fit for educators, as they already spend a lot of their free time creating class activities.

🏏

Cricket bat

Noun

🦇

A bat

Noun

🏓

To bat

Verb

Prototype

After sketching and wireframing, I wanted to test out a design before hitting the development sprint. I decided to create a prototype with Framer. It was complex enough to test the system out without having any proper backend or data included. The flow worked well and teachers were not confused about what to do in general. Apart from a couple of small interaction issues, which I cleaned up afterwards, we were good to go into the sprint.

Framer prototype

Conclusion

Designing tools to help educators was an incredibly rewarding experience. We launched Classroom with Course Wizard in November and travelled to a teachers' conference in New Orleans to promote it. It was really well received and we gathered a lot of contacts to follow up with. B2E will most likely be a slow adoption rate but the potential for the future is huge.

With the backend built for Course Wizard, we could now see if there’s a product market fit for consumers.

If you haven't already, check out my Course Wizard case study